Cerebral palsy is the most common motor disability in children, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It can affect your child’s ability to move and maintain balance and posture. It also can cause problems with vision, hearing, speech and cognition.
Early intervention and rehabilitative therapies can have a positive impact on your child’s quality of life. Mary Free Bed at Covenant HealthCare provides comprehensive rehabilitation and loving encouragement to support your child’s healthy development.
We coordinate innovative therapies and services to meet your child’s unique abilities and needs. Physicians and therapists with specialized training in treating cerebral palsy direct a proactive plan that promotes movement, self-care and communication skills.
We’ll work with you and your child to develop goals and treatment. Goals may include:
- Improved movement
- Management of sensory or perceptual challenges
- Ability to engage in daily activities, such as eating, dressing and bathing.
Your child will be cared for by a multidisciplinary team led by a physician who specializes in physical medicine and rehabilitation. Therapists will share activities and techniques you and other caregivers can use to support your child’s progress at home.
Depending on your child’s needs, his or her treatment team may recommend a variety of services, including:
- Physician evaluation and follow-up with specialists (who may include pediatric physicians or physiatrists, orthopedic specialists and experts in neurodevelopmental pediatrics and neurology)
- Therapeutic evaluation and treatment (including with a physical therapist and occupational therapist)
- Speech-language therapy evaluation and treatment, focusing on everything from articulation and voice to behavior and communication
- Swallow study and feeding program
- Assessments for adaptive devices
- Coordination with orthotics (for such things as serial casting, splinting, braces and orthoses)
- Augmentative communication evaluation and training
- Evaluations on everything from customized wheelchairs to assistive technology
- Neuromuscular re-education/biofeedback evaluation and treatment
- Driver rehabilitation
Make an Appointment
Clinician’s office? Refer a patient.