With rehabilitation at Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation at Covenant HealthCare, you’ll be on your way back to a fulfilling life.
We understand the physical, emotional and practical challenges that people with spinal cord injuries face. An injury is life-changing, but it doesn’t have to change who you are.
We’ll get to know you. What are your goals? What motivates you and gives your life meaning? Knowing these answers will guide our comprehensive, holistic approach to your healing, helping you move beyond your injury.
Rehabilitation takes determination, hard work and a lot of courage, but we can help. You’ve got this.
Why Mary Free Bed at Covenant?
Why Mary Free Bed at Covenant?
We offer coordinated, comprehensive care to support people with every level of spinal cord injury, including patients with additional injuries.
Care for a lifetime
Your return to independence will be supported by bright, caring rehabilitation providers. We’ll be here for as long as you need us.
After you graduate from our inpatient program, we offer outpatient medical care and therapy and a host of other resources. Whether you’re walking or using a wheelchair, we’ll offer adaptations for use at home and in the community to ensure your greatest level of independence.
We provide an enriching environment designed to maximize your functional recovery, including therapy gyms near your private room.
Your treatment team will work with you and your family to create a rehabilitation plan that addresses your goals. Therapy is hard work, but it’s rewarding.
The duration and intensity of your therapy will depend on your individual needs and tolerance, but patients typically participate in at least three hours of therapy five days a week. Research shows the sooner you begin rehabilitation at an appropriate level of intensity, the better your outcome will be.
Therapy gyms provide specialized spaces to improve strength and fine motor skills. We also have private treatment spaces to meet your individual needs.
Our team will also assist with coordinating activities and/or therapy to allow you to integrate back into the community safely and enjoyably.
Our experts have access to innovative rehabilitation technology and tools to support your recovery. If you’re able, you can practice standing and walking with ceiling-mounted systems, including ZeroG and Tollos, that help you practice safely and comfortably.
Dedicated gyms are located on your floor, and you can practice home skills in simulated environments, such as an apartment.
We encourage loved ones to participate in your therapy sessions. Your family is part of your team, too! After all, they’ll be helping you be as independent as possible after rehabilitation.
In the evenings, you can relax in your private room or visit with family, friends and other patients in one of our social areas or outdoor green spaces.
Our Patient + Family Amenities page, offers helpful information, including comfortable and affordable lodging if you live outside the Great Lakes Bay Region.
Depending on your needs, your team may include clinicians from several disciplines or a few, such as:
- Board-certified rehabilitation physicians, hand-selected for you and your condition(s).
- Registered nurses with rehabilitation and wound care certification, as well as nursing care assistants.
- Occupational therapists to help you resume independence with daily activities, such as brushing your teeth, getting dressed, doing laundry and grocery shopping.
- Physical therapists to help you resume independence with walking, transferring and mobility.
- Psychologists focus on your emotional well-being, which is just as important as your physical condition.
- Registered dietitians to evaluate your nutritional needs and monitor your food intake.
- Speech-language pathologists to help you, if necessary, with eating, swallowing, speaking, breathing, thinking and more.
- Recreational therapists to help you get back to doing things you enjoy or introduce you to new leisure activities.
- A care manager who partners with you and your caregivers to help you adjust to your injury and prepare to return home.
Mary Free Bed provides a full spectrum of care to maintain your health, including specialized therapy and life-long follow-up care.
You’ll participate in a thorough evaluation and assessment in a clinic setting. If you’ve received treatment at Mary Free Bed at Covenant before, you’ll work with your same doctors and other specialists.
We offer individual treatment spaces, a therapy gym and a simulated apartment where you can practice daily living skills, such as cooking, laundry and cleaning.
Your team will work with you and your family to create a plan that addresses your goals. We’re here for as long as you need us.