Our goal is to get you back to those daily moments — as quickly and comfortably as possible.
Things that were once second-nature can suddenly seem impossible when you or a loved one has experienced a stroke.
When you choose Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation at Covenant HealthCare, you and your family will access a knowledgeable network of support to help you get back to your life. And a team of doctors, nurses, therapists, care managers and other specialists will work with you and your family to overcome the challenges unique to a stroke.
Why Mary Free Bed at Covenant?
Why Mary Free Bed at Covenant?
Rehabilitation is a vital part of recovery after a stroke. Research shows people experience better outcomes the sooner rehabilitation begins.
Care for a lifetime
Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation at Covenant HealthCare provides a full spectrum of care to support your recovery for as long as you need us, including outpatient medical care and therapy and a host of other resources.
Our inpatient program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities International (CARF). This voluntary but rigorous accreditation process is based on specific standards ensuring the highest-quality rehabilitation for people who’ve experienced a stroke.
The duration and intensity of your therapy will depend on your individual needs and tolerance, but patients typically participate in at least three hours of therapy five days a week. Research shows the sooner you begin rehabilitation at an appropriate level of intensity, the better your outcome will be.
Therapy gyms, including one with a low-stimulation environment, provide specialized spaces to improve strength and fine motor skills. We also have private treatment spaces to meet your individual needs.
Our team will also assist with coordinating activities and/or therapy to allow you to integrate back into the community safely and enjoyably.
Our experts have access to innovative rehabilitation technology and tools to support your recovery. An extensive system of ceiling-mounted technology, including ZeroG and Tollos, helps you safely practice standing and walking if balance is an issue. We also offer Bioness BITS therapy to help increase strength and function in your arms and legs.
A simulated home space provides an area to practice daily living skills, such as cooking, laundry and cleaning.
We encourage loved ones to participate in your therapy sessions. Your family is part of your team, too! After all, they’ll be helping you be as independent as possible.
In the evenings, you can relax in your private room or visit with family, friends and other patients in one of our social areas or outdoor green spaces.
Our Patient + Family Amenities page, offers helpful information, including comfortable and affordable lodging if you live outside the Great Lakes Bay Region.
Depending on your needs, your team may include clinicians from several disciplines or a few, such as:
- Board-certified rehabilitation physicians, hand-selected for you and your condition(s).
- Registered nurses with rehabilitation and wound care certification, as well as nursing care assistants.
- Occupational therapists to help you resume independence with daily activities, such as brushing your teeth, getting dressed, doing laundry and grocery shopping.
- Physical therapists to help you resume independence with walking, transferring and mobility.
- Psychologists focus on your emotional well-being, which is just as important as your physical condition.
- Registered dietitians to evaluate your nutritional needs and monitor your food intake.
- Speech-language pathologists to help you, if necessary, with eating, swallowing, speaking, breathing, thinking and more.
- Recreational therapists to help you get back to doing things you enjoy or introduce you to new leisure activities.
- A care manager who partners with you and your caregivers to help you adjust to your injury and prepare to return home.
Even after your condition has stabilized and you’ve graduated from inpatient care, you can benefit from ongoing therapy. Education and family support are vital to what we do, and we work together to ensure your treatment plan truly fits your health and lifestyle.
Rehabilitation physicians who specialize in treating patients with stroke collaborate with therapists and other professionals to give you holistic care when you need it. This will help you recover faster and better.
We offer individual treatment spaces, a therapy gym and a simulated apartment where you can practice daily living skills, such as cooking, laundry and cleaning.
Your team will work with you and your family to create a plan that addresses your goals. We’re here for as long as you need us.